Kortech Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Radio scanner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kortech Forum Index -> Radio Communication Equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Radio scanner Reply with quote

My new phase / hobby of plane spotting has recently given me the excuse I needed to pick up a gadget I've always wanted since I was a teen, a radio scanner. I know nothing about them and the instructions look quite technical. I'm off to Sheldon country park tommorow as it's right at the end of Bham airport runway.
Apparently it's illegal to listen to air traffic communications in the UK! I'm not sure why? I understand why you can't transmit at air traffic frequencies obviously. Anyway, the last time I went to an air display there were loads of air band radios in use.

My scanner is a GRE PSR-282.
66-88MHz
108-174MHz
380-512MHz

I'm going to have a go at filming the planes taking off / landing and sticking it on YouTube.
Discovery
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good!

It's 'officially' illegal to listen to air traffic communications in the UK but the authorities tend to turn a blind eye to hobbyists.

You can get books with frequencies of interest to listen too. It has been a while since I last used a scanner.

Good judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
john

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got myself a bigger antenna and stuck it high up in my loft. This extended the range of my scanner. So far from Redditch I can hear pilots talking to airports at Wellesbourne, East Midlands, Bristol, Oxford and Luton. I heard a 737 pilot tell East Midlands airport that they'd had a green laser shone at them (they were 7000 feet above Leicester at the time.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kortech Forum Index -> Radio Communication Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: