Kortech Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Windows 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Discovery
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on Windows 7 and had the the notification come up today. I don't want to change to Windows 10 when it first comes out so I've hidden the notification in the the task bar. If you wish to hide it, do the following:

To hide the notification, follow these steps:
1. Right click your taskbar, Select 'Properties'.
2. On Taskbar windows popup, in Notification area, select [Customize...] button.
3. On Popup Notification Area Icons, change GWX setting in Behaviours to 'Hide icons and notifications'.

It can always be changed back at a later date if required.

I like Windows 7 and don't want to change for the foreseeable future.

The problem is that Windows will then most likely turn into a subscription model which is what they have wanted to do for years.

Good judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
Barney015

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the notification is there if you want to register to be notified when the upgrade is available.
You do not have to download or install it immediately, you can chose a a time to suit.

I have never got to like Windows 8.1. I may upgrade my laptop and then see how it works before deciding whether to upgrade Window 7 on the desktop.

I wonder if it is possible to install it alongside Windows 7, either on a partitioned hard disk, or on a separate hard disk?
My desktop has two hard disks, so maybe you can choose which partition or disk you install Windows 10 on, then you could have the best of both worlds.
Minnie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the notification too and have hidden it for now. What I might do is install it onto Arcto's PC which is now a spare so I can have a bit of a play with it on there and that will help me decide whether to install it onto my own PC, ultrabook and Surface Pro, any or all of them.
Minnie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovery wrote:
I'm on Windows 7 and had the the notification come up today. I don't want to change to Windows 10 when it first comes out so I've hidden the notification in the the task bar. If you wish to hide it, do the following:

To hide the notification, follow these steps:
1. Right click your taskbar, Select 'Properties'.
2. On Taskbar windows popup, in Notification area, select [Customize...] button.
3. On Popup Notification Area Icons, change GWX setting in Behaviours to 'Hide icons and notifications'.

It can always be changed back at a later date if required.

I keep hiding it and Windows keeps on unhiding it again and changing the settings to 'Show'. Grrrrr.

Discovery
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to disable and remove the “Get Windows 10″ icon and notification window, by uninstalling the KB3035583 update. The notifications don't reoccur then. Go into Control Panel, Programs and Features, click 'View installed updates' on left pane, do a search for KB3035583 and then left click select first, right click, uninstall. As this is classed as an important update, it will reappear when the computer searches for updates. Change the update settings to one of the two options of download or check for updates and let me choose whether to install them. I would then do a manual check for updates to get it out the way. When the update prompts to install, select no and then hide the update.

Another annoying thing with Windows 10 is that it removes games like Solitaire, etc and Windows Media Centre.

john stokes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my reminder about 10 this morning, and filled out the request for notification.

Just have to hope it works out well.

Minnie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovery wrote:
It is possible to disable and remove the “Get Windows 10″ icon and notification window, by uninstalling the KB3035583 update. The notifications don't reoccur then. Go into Control Panel, Programs and Features, click 'View installed updates' on left pane, do a search for KB3035583 and then left click select first, right click, uninstall. As this is classed as an important update, it will reappear when the computer searches for updates. Change the update settings to one of the two options of download or check for updates and let me choose whether to install them. I would then do a manual check for updates to get it out the way. When the update prompts to install, select no and then hide the update.

Another annoying thing with Windows 10 is that it removes games like Solitaire, etc and Windows Media Centre.

Thanks Disco, I might try that, or I might just leave it. I know what the icon is and know not to click it and I'm the only one who uses this PC so there's no danger of anyone else installing it accidentally.

I don't use the Windows games, I have Hoyle games installed and play them, but why have they got rid of Media Centre?

Discovery
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minnie wrote:

Thanks Disco, I might try that, or I might just leave it. I know what the icon is and know not to click it and I'm the only one who uses this PC so there's no danger of anyone else installing it accidentally.

I don't use the Windows games, I have Hoyle games installed and play them, but why have they got rid of Media Centre?

If you do uninstall the update, you could always re-enable it by clicking 'Restore hidden updates' at a later stage.

I think we may be seeing one of the reasons why the upgrade to Windows 10 is 'free' for the first 12 months. I don't know the exact reason they removed it but it's possible things like Media Centre will become chargeable extras. With Windows 10 you will need to download a program such as VLC to watch DVD's. It reminds me of the free and chargeable versions of 'apps' on phones.

Barney015

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovery wrote:

I do believe that Microsoft will include Solitaire etc. in Windows 10, but not Media Center. However, it will still include an improved version of Windows Media Player that will play FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) and MKV (Matroska Video) without the need to download a third party program.

I think the idea of registering for the Windows 10 is that it will download as an update in small chunks, so as not to overwhelm the servers, or for you to have a large long download.
Once all the bits are downloaded you can then choose when to install it.
Discovery
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barney015 wrote:

I do believe that Microsoft will include Solitaire etc. in Windows 10

It does not come as standard. You will have to have a Microsoft account first before you can download any optional games.

When Windows 10 comes out, only users of the Professional and Ultimate versions will be able to stop any updates from downloading. System updates will be mandatory for the lesser versions such as Home Premium, etc. This is annoying as sometimes an update can crash or mess up a computer.

Barney015

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me about it disco. Sometime ago I experienced problems on my computer which turned out to be caused by a Microsoft update.
I had know idea what was wrong until I did some research, and then had to locate the particular update and remove it.

I have a Microsoft account, so I can play the games on Windows 8.1
Barney015

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I upgraded to Windows 10 on my laptop running OS 8.1 and my desktop running OS 7.

What an absolute disaster.
Both installations went well. In fact it looked good and seemed stable.
Except it blocked Zone Alarm (not yet compatible apparently.)
However, when I tried to load web pages on the laptop using Google Chrome, nothing. It would load but then each time I tried to open a web page I got the message 'not connected to the internet'. And the same with Firefox.
It worked fine with Microsoft edge, and everything worked perfectly on the desktop.

After trying for hours and getting nowhere I decided enough was enough and tried to revert back to 8.1 using the roll-back utility (it is available for a month after installing 10.)
That is when the trouble started, it should have been straightforward, but it crashed halfway through and the computer shut down, but then and I could no longer boot into Windows.
Even using the recovery disc and trying to repair it failed. It couldn't find an OS to repair. I had to re install the OS, which took it back to Windows 8 and of course then I had to re install all my programs.
So now I have to update OS 8 before I can upgrade to 8.1

Has anyone else had any problems with Google, or reverting back from OS 10?

It will be a while before I attempt to install 10 again, and if I do and it goes pear shaped again, I will make sure I have a complete copy of my present system (on DVD/CD) and try to use that rather than re install windows, at least it may stop me having to search for and re install all my programs.
Barney015

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my experience with upgrading to Windows 10.

After a lot of reading various forums about W10, I decided to have another go.
This time I made a custom copy of my system and installed it on a spare external HDD, just in case. That meant I could then return to Windows 8.1 without losing all my apps and settings and not 8 and then have to update and upgrade and losing everything in the process.

Downloaded the update, and then proceeded to install the OS.
It took about an hour, and another half an hour while it configured itself.

After a while it came back to me with the message 'welcome back'.
I logged on, a few minutes more of setting up and bingo, it was working.
Everything, including Chrome and Firefox are working perfectly.

It boots faster, seems to open pages faster, and shuts down much quicker.
I did disable my AVG anti virus, during download and installation and uninstalled my Zone Alarm fire wall, the last time W10 prevented it from working.
So far so good. My next step is to make a recovery disc on a USB or DVD so I will be able to re-boot into Windows if disaster strikes in the future, and I will also make a custom image and install it onto an external HDD or DVD, so I do not lose my apps and settings.

There is a utility within Windows that makes doing that fairly straight forward
Discovery
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it installed correctly this time Barney but I'm still steering clear of it for the foreseeable future. There are too many security holes in Windows 10 with Microsoft getting hold of your personal information. That and not being able to stop updates are a no-no for me. Just one update can break a system. I like Windows 7 and it will be still supported until 2020.

Linux is a viable alternative and works very well too. I would particularly recommend Linux Mint as an alternative to Windows. If required, you can also set it up to dual-boot either Windows or Linux so you can use either operating system. You don't need anti-virus products with Linux, either.

Barney015

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is true Microsoft wants to collect information about you.
By default Windows 10 privacy settings are 'on' allowing Microsoft to collect a lot of private information about what you do.
The biggest flaw I believe, is in the wireless properties. It allows Windows to automatically connect to any (unsecured) hotspots, and allows your contacts to connect to your network.
You can of course turn those settings off. (Although I did read somewhere that Microsoft can still collect information.)
I think every release of a new OS was found to have security flaws.
It appears Microsoft like to use the public as Guinea Pigs to test their new OS.

An update in windows 7 caused problems on my desktop, I had to locate and remove it.
Notwithstanding any security holes, (and who knows what information people are collecting about you, despite any measures you may take to stay private) so far I find Windows 10 quite good.

I did install a version on Linux and duel booted, but I didn't really get on with it. I understand there are various different versions.
I have an old Laptop with Vista installed, the lid is broken and is just hanging and the letters on the keyboard are worn. I was going to get rid of it, but it still works and I sometimes use it run a couple of old games that refuse to work on any other OS and for storage.
I might try and play about with Linux on that, that way it will not interfere with my present set up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kortech Forum Index -> Computer upgrades All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: