Kortech Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Windows Update Problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barney015

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject: Windows Update Problem Reply with quote

My son's computer, which is still running Windows 7 has encountered some serious problems.

It auto updated, but when it restarted it would not boot into Windows, it kept asking you to repair it, but it once took over six hours, and still kept returning to repair mode after restarting.
He couldn't restore or even boot into safe mode.
After checks and scans, and despite getting reports that everything was fine, it would not get past the repair stage.
Trying all sorts of command prompts didn't work. After giving up for the night, the next day when he switched it on, it ran fine, until the next time he booted.
This time he had no choice but to re-install windows, he could not even repair it using the install disc.

It was just a day later the same thing happened, and he had to re-install Windows again.

After a lot of research it turned out to be a Windows update KB3033929 that was causing the problem.
So he is going to manually install the updates in small batches, and make sure that particular update doe not get installed.

Now apparently this update mainly affects duel boot systems, but it can also affect some, but not all, computers. Even Microsoft doesn't seem to have an answer.
So beware when updating if you are still running OS 7. I believe this update was released in March of this year, However some people have been having similar problems before that.
Discovery
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microsoft are getting very crafty with their updates. I'm on Windows 7 and I've set it to 'Check for updates but let me chose whether to download and install them' (again!) but it reverted to automatic install all on its own a few weeks ago. I hadn't clicked the little flag to solve windows problems either which can change the settings. I keep a close eye on it now in case it reverts again. I don't install any update now without first checking online what it does. I've also created a text file for listing the Windows 10 blocking updates.

Using system restore before now has got me working again after an update has crashed the system.

Good judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
Barney015

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovery wrote:
Microsoft are getting very crafty with their updates. I'm on Windows 7 and I've set it to 'Check for updates but let me chose whether to download and install them' (again!) but it reverted to automatic install all on its own a few weeks ago. I hadn't clicked the little flag to solve windows problems either which can change the settings. I keep a close eye on it now in case it reverts again. I don't install any update now without first checking online what it does. I've also created a text file for listing the Windows 10 blocking updates.

Using system restore before now has got me working again after an update has crashed the system.

That is what happened to my son's computer, he had set it to download but not to install, but it went to automatic all by itself.
It also created an X partition and put the OS on partition D
Restore and repair did not work because the computer could not find an OS to repair, even though all scans showed an OS was installed, and it was showing on partition D. But as the computer was set to boot from C it just failed, even setting it boot from D or copying the contents of D onto C failed to work.
Hopefully he will now install the updates manually, now we know which one is the problem, he will block it from updating.

I have read in some forums that a similar thing can happen in 10, although so far I have had no problems. I thought you could not set W10 from auto updating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kortech Forum Index -> Computer problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: