Kortech Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Windows 10
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barney015

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Windows 10 Reply with quote

Microsoft have announced that Windows 10 will be released as a free upgrade to for systems running Windows 7, 8 and 8.1. No date yet, but it could be this June.
Apparently it will be free for the first year.
Microsoft have released a preview of the OS. It is claimed to be better than Windows 8, it cannot be any worse.
Teacup

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have windows 8.1 and I like it. I reckon I`ll be upgrading to 10 when it comes out. Very Happy
Escafeldia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still working with Windows XP - 3 and my computer is over 10 years old. I haven't had any problems since XP was made redundant except that IE-8 doesn't work all that well with some of the web sites. I have upgraded to Firefox but can't get rid of the IE software. Now Firefox keeps telling me it has crashed but is wokjing fine until I exit. Crying or Very sad

The new version of Windowss sounds as if it will be available as a rental system whereby you need to pay a charge annually like you do with Norton IS. No-one has said yet what the charge will be. If it is around £40 or £50 per annum I can see that there will be a section of the community who will find it difficult to keep their OS up to date. It is the same with the other Microsoft products, like Office. I think I'll wait until Windows 10 is being loaded as the standard OS then I will change my computer.

Teacup

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn`t know all that Esca.... I understood that if you have Windows 8 or 8.1 you could upgrade free and from there it would upgrade automatically ? Is this wrong ?
Barney015

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tea Clipper wrote:
I didn`t know all that Esca.... I understood that if you have Windows 8 or 8.1 you could upgrade free and from there it would upgrade automatically ? Is this wrong ?

You are not wrong TC. It will be a fee upgrade for all Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 with no charge for any updates.
After a year you will have to pay for the OS and then it will continue as now with updates free as they are released. There are no details about the final cost after a year, or for those running XP who want to upgrade.

Apparently the operating requirements for Windows 10 will be the same as for 7, 8 and 8.1

Microsoft are replacing IE with the Spartan system.
Teacup

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Barney. I don`t want to pay for that, do you ?
Barney015

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tea Clipper wrote:
Thank you Barney. I don`t want to pay for that, do you ?

Well I am half Scottish, and you know what they say about the Scots and their money.
No I would not want to pay for it, especially as it has been less than a year since I upgraded my desktop from XP to Windows 7 and I am running Windows 8.1 on my (newish) laptop.

I downloaded a program called 'Start Menu 8 which gives your Windows 8 desktop the look of previous Windows OS. I never liked the Metro look. A quick tap on the Windows key brings that screen up if required.

The problem with Windows 8 it was developed with touch screens in mind, so it was fine for tablets and phones but didn't fit well desktops or laptops.
I will probably upgrade both systems when Windows 10 is released.
But not straight away, there is bound to be problems as it is being released worldwide at the same time.
Teacup

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I should think there will be. I upgraded from Windows 8 to 8.1 when it first came out and at first, I thought I was in a nightmare but it sorted itself out and I really like it. I think I`ll stick with it . Very Happy
hammy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a mac. Cool
Escafeldia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have obviously misread some information on Windows 10. I knew about the free upgrade from versions 7,8 and 8-1 but was under the impression that after installation of Windows 10 there would be an annual charge for keeping the software upgraded. I am sorry if my last post caused any consternation.

I did contemplate upgrading to Windows 7 like Barney but my CD/DVD is a read only type and not one to which you can reburn other discs. Also my graphics system is an integrated one which doesn't use a Graphics Card.There is plenty of space on my hard drive and my CPU runs at 2.8 GHz but trying to do the conversion without suitable backup facilities sounded hazardous.

Barney015

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Escafeldia wrote:
I have obviously misread some information on Windows 10. I knew about the free upgrade from versions 7,8 and 8-1 but was under the impression that after installation of Windows 10 there would be an annual charge for keeping the software upgraded. I am sorry if my last post caused any consternation.

I did contemplate upgrading to Windows 7 like Barney but my CD/DVD is a read only type and not one to which you can reburn other discs. Also my graphics system is an integrated one which doesn't use a Graphics Card.There is plenty of space on my hard drive and my CPU runs at 2.8 GHz but trying to do the conversion without suitable backup facilities sounded hazardous.

You could always use a flash drive to back up your files, or replace your optical disc, they are fairly inexpensive. You could even purchase a external CD/DVD re writer. Does your computer have one or two hard drives? If it has two, you can transfer all your files onto that.
You could even partition the single hard drive and place all files on to that partition before installing any new OS.

It is the amount of RAM memory that is the critical requirement for running Windows 7, 8, or 8.1. I think 2GB is the minimum.
Once again adding extra RAM is fairy straightforward and inexpensive.
If you are wary of doing yourself I am sure you could find someone to do it for you.
Integrated graphics should not be a problem I would have thought, many computers have integrated graphics. It would be a problem if you were a mad gaming fan.

Microsoft used to to offer a program you could download to check your computer to see if it would run another OS.
Getting hold of a (legal) copy of Windows 7 is getting harder.

I hope that is of some help.
Escafeldia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Barney. I have used the Windows 7 Checking Programme and my computer is about 90% OK. I upgraded my RAM some time ago to 2Gb so that is fine. I have one Hard Drive and a few memory sticks of varying capacity which I use for backups of some of my programmes, i.e. Money Program andd some private papers. To be honest my computer was bought in 2000 and I think an upgrade may be the best way forward. Despite shifting stuff off the HD from time to time there must be a hell of a lot of rubbish stored on it from old sofware programmes and such like. Temporary Files are removed automatically when I exit the internet so they shouldn't be a problem. My monitor, scanner and printer are all OK but a new CPU, with the bells and whistled which are curently missing, could be the answer.
Barney015

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded my old computer, mainly because it kept turning itself off from time to time. I was told the motherboard was probably the culprit.
I got my son to replace the motherboard with a new processor, power supply and RAM memory and he put in a wireless card, the new components came to less than a brand new desktop, less labour of course.
Discovery
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Escafeldia wrote:
Thanks Barney. I have used the Windows 7 Checking Programme and my computer is about 90% OK. I upgraded my RAM some time ago to 2Gb so that is fine. I have one Hard Drive and a few memory sticks of varying capacity which I use for backups of some of my programmes, i.e. Money Program andd some private papers. To be honest my computer was bought in 2000 and I think an upgrade may be the best way forward. Despite shifting stuff off the HD from time to time there must be a hell of a lot of rubbish stored on it from old sofware programmes and such like. Temporary Files are removed automatically when I exit the internet so they shouldn't be a problem. My monitor, scanner and printer are all OK but a new CPU, with the bells and whistled which are curently missing, could be the answer.

Your computer would most likely be too slow for a modern operating system but in my opinion the current Windows 8 line is horrible. Windows 7 is nice if you can still get a machine with it on. The software is still available as Windows 7 Home Premium at the moment. Either get that or wait about 6 months after Win 10 has come out to allow time for the bugs to be ironed out. I would still keep you old system as a back-up for running older programs though. That's what I do, I have one computer with Windows 7 and the older one with XP for use with older programs and games. They share a common 30" monitor and I switch between the two. I just have to remember to use the other mouse and keyboard.

Good judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
Barney015

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microsoft has announced that they will release Windows 10 worldwide on the 29th July.
Hopefully many of the bugs should have been ironed out as you have been able to download and run a preview test version for some months.
Feed back from users may help developers to get it pretty much right.

I will upgrade my 8.1 windows laptop. Mrs. B uses the desktop running Windows 7, so not sure about upgrading that one as I have not long had it rebuilt and installed Windows 7
My son is quite happy with Windows 7 on his desktop and laptop, not sure if he will bother.
According to Microsoft the download will check your system before it continues to install, any compatibility problems and it will not continue. So it should not cause any problems by starting to install, failing and then causing operating issues with your present OS.

There is an assistant you can download to see if your machine and associated hardware is able to work with Windows 10.

Here is the link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-assistant-download-online-faq
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kortech Forum Index -> Computer upgrades All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: