Kortech Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Numbers stations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kortech Forum Index -> Radio Communication Equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Numbers stations Reply with quote

I've been interested in 'numbers stations' and other spy stations for a while now. Numbers stations are presumed to be the encrypted transmissions of secret services (although nobody seems to know for sure). Despite modern technology they have never been de-coded except by agents in the field. They usually consist of sets of 5 numbers spoken by an automated voice. Some transmissions consist of sounds such as beeps, strange music or a buzzer. There are 100's of them and they lurk around shortwave frequencies. The source of the signal is always untraceable (unlike internet communication). All of them are illegal and not licenced to transmit at the frequencies they do. Governments deny they have anything to do with them.
One mysterious one is called 'UVB- 76' - 4.625 MHz it's been buzzing repeatedly since the 70's. Occassionally the buzzer stops and a list of Russian names is read out. Other spy stations have been given names such as the Swedish Rhapsody and the Lincolnshire Poacher. Some tranmissions are dead creepy backwards music, don't listen late at night.
A shortwave radio with digital tuning will be sufficient and you'll find more stations if the frequencies on your radio go down to 2.3 MHz or less. To get a stronger signal you can make an aerial extension out of some old wire.
Discovery
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are quite some interesting signals out there.

An annoying one that was called the Woodpecker because of its sound, originated from Russia. It stopped around the fall of the Soviet Union.

I used a G5RV wire (102' long) dipole for my aerial. Coupled through an antenna tuning unit so I could transmit on it too. About time I fired it up again.

Good judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kortech Forum Index -> Radio Communication Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: